Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Steam ID
    vsaviour
    Wongs

To Team uG @ Why Chinese Dota is Best in the World

I'm pretty sure it was Colmo who asked me "why are the Chinese the best in the world at Dota? is it because their language lets them communicate so fast?"
    Don't know if that was sarcastic or not, but I'll answer the question because there are probably some things that would be helpful for NA Dota if we could get it to work somehow.

If you read my wall of text addressed to ixmike, you'd know that Chinese culture places the individual below the group, particularly the family. Also, order is always preferable to chaos, if you watch the film "Hero", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_(2002_film) or read the synopsis you will understand.

So now, we have a culture that values the group (team) over the individual (less ego) and also one that generally values imperfect order over temporary chaos in an attempt to establish another order (professionalism, maybe at the cost of less inclined to revise bad systems).

The third thing is that in Chinese culture, it is looked down upon if you don't grind irl at doing something/learning some skill and chilling with your friends is not a skill in our book. It doesn't really matter what you do, as long as you are trying to become good at something. Ideally something that your parents can show to guests such as singing/playing an instrument but I suppose playing Dota is alright too. Or if it's not alright and you don't have parental support you at least have your other family, your team's support.

Let's take an example and look at YaphetS leaving City Hunter.

CH was playing a LAN tournament and their roster had not been paid their salary in 3 months but they did not really complaint to mgmt, say we won't play until we are paid or anything like that, just muttering under their breaths sort of complaining. They paid out of pocket to practice because they had to pay to use the internet. They had like, 2 rooms for 5 or 6 guys (save $) but Longdd had his girlfriend visit and they stayed in one room and kicked the rest of the team into the other room.

Longdd was captain or highly respected or some shit so everyone else just took his crap and slept on the floor/w.e and YaphetS didn't resign from CH until a day or two later when he couldn't take it anymore. Ofc mgmt is a bitch so they said he would have to ff his salary for the past 3 months and they wouldn't pay his ticket home.

And yes, it is faster to communicate in Chinese, we don't have really long words and don't put have the word "the" in our language. Also we don't put the prepositions for and to in every godamned phrase.
    Competent, fun to play with, not drama or rage inducing; pick any 2 out of 3.

M-M-M-Monster Kill
    Wongs

Re: To Team uG

TL;DR

Re: To Team uG @ Why Chinese Dota is Best in the World

Quote Originally Posted by saviour
    I'm pretty sure it was Colmo who asked me "why are the Chinese the best in the world at Dota? is it because their language lets them communicate so fast?"
    Don't know if that was sarcastic or not, but I'll answer the question because there are probably some things that would be helpful for NA Dota if we could get it to work somehow.

If you read my wall of text addressed to ixmike, you'd know that Chinese culture places the individual below the group, particularly the family. Also, order is always preferable to chaos, if you watch the film "Hero", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_(2002_film) or read the synopsis you will understand.

So now, we have a culture that values the group (team) over the individual (less ego) and also one that generally values imperfect order over temporary chaos in an attempt to establish another order (professionalism, maybe at the cost of less inclined to revise bad systems). Chinese players don't flame their mates when their mates fail, they type a space and then enter b.c there is nothing to say. You should feel ashamed yourself and strive to be better in the future, your Chinese ego is small enough that you understand you failed the group at that moment.

The third thing is that in Chinese culture, it is looked down upon if you don't grind irl at doing something/learning some skill and chilling with your friends is not a skill in our book. It doesn't really matter what you do, as long as you are trying to become good at something. Ideally something that your parents can show to guests such as singing/playing an instrument but I suppose playing Dota is alright too. Or if it's not alright and you don't have parental support you at least have your other family, your team's support.

CH was playing a LAN tournament and their roster had not been paid their salary in 3 months but they did not really complaint to mgmt, say we won't play until we are paid or anything like that, just muttering under their breaths sort of complaining. They paid out of pocket to practice because they had to pay to use the internet. They had like, 2 rooms for 5 or 6 guys (save $) but Longdd had his girlfriend visit and they stayed in one room and kicked the rest of the team into the other room.

Longdd was captain or highly respected or some shit so everyone else just took his crap and slept on the floor/w.e and YaphetS didn't resign from CH until a day or two later when he couldn't take it anymore. Ofc mgmt is a bitch so they said he would have to ff his salary for the past 3 months and they wouldn't pay his ticket home.

And yes, it is faster to communicate in Chinese, we don't have really long words and don't put have the word "the" in our language. Also we don't put the prepositions for and to in every godamned phrase.

pretty sure chinese players are the best because esports in general are bigger in asia, and therefore sponsors are willing to fun bootcamps and the like and actually pay players enough to live off of. do you seriously think that if any north american team played for 9 hours a day every single day while getting paid to do it they wouldn't quickly become the best western team?

Wongs

i read it, quite informative. green tea ftw

in china its looked up too as a career and in america its just for fun
    Quote Originally Posted by wtfDOTA
    yo im making a team pm me

M-M-M-Monster Kill
    Steam ID
    matrimlol
    Wongs

hi
    08/27 23:33:45 Luppy: Matrim is the best youtd player I've ever played with.

thx

Wongs

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrakil

So now, we have a culture that values the group (team) over the individual (less ego) and also one that generally values imperfect order over temporary chaos in an attempt to establish another order (professionalism, maybe at the cost of less inclined to revise bad systems). Chinese players don't flame their mates when their mates fail, they type a space and then enter b.c there is nothing to say. You should feel ashamed yourself and strive to be better in the future, your Chinese ego is small enough that you understand you failed the group at that moment.

pretty sure chinese players are the best because esports in general are bigger in asia, and therefore sponsors are willing to fun bootcamps and the like and actually pay players enough to live off of. do you seriously think that if any north american team played for 9 hours a day every single day while getting paid to do it they wouldn't quickly become the best western team?
    key word "western"

Taeyang u r so cute ^_^

M-M-M-Monster Kill
    Steam ID
    matrimlol
    Wongs

STFU NICK WONG

thx

Fuck off bitch I'll eat ur kids

shoutout to taeyang

M-M-M-Monster Kill
    Steam ID
    matrimlol
    Wongs

usuck

thx

Ur so bad at custom games rofl

Steam ID
    vsaviour
    Wongs

http://www.mymym.com/en/news/18664.html

Zig: I, have no idea where your train of thought comes from, where you thought I disagreed with your tangential point you are trying to raise, or just wtf???
    Best Western team doesn't =/= best in world.

Also, China is a weird place, prices for things vary wildly because of the gap in income. You can live off of any amount of money. You can pay 1 RMB to get a breakfast roll with an egg/some vegetables at a street vendor and 1 RMB for a styrofoam cup of tea or you could pay 100+ RMB each for the breakfast and tea at a classy restaurant. Probably around 20-40 if you are going to eat at the breakfast inside of a hotel. You can buy shoes from a street vendor for 50 RMB or 700 RMB from an American store, this is like, for Nike, not luxury leather Vercacci shoes or w.e that would be ?? thousands of RMB. Salary-wise, they probably make no more than 2, 3k RMB a month.

Wicked Sick
    Wongs

matrim is a pussy he didnt buy a god damn rapier

^above post

he says he disagrees with ur logic that chinese teams culture or language makes them the best in the world and asserted his opinion that if a top western team trained 9 hours a day and had dota as a job rather than a hobby then western teams would be at the same level as the chinese teams if not higher

also: they can live off 2-3K RNB a month due to cost of living in their location, however, noone from north america or europe could

in short, this entire brilliant writeup(sarcasm) was a complete waste of time because the sole difference that puts asian teams on top is the fact that they're able to play dota as a career rather than a hobby

Killing Spree
    Wongs

Chinese players don't flame their mates when their mates fail, they type a space and then enter b.c there is nothing to say.
    Not sure where you got this information but that's probably wrong. Chinese characters don't show up on Warcraft III unless you have Chinese input. It's more likely that there is text but it looks like space enter because you don't have Chinese Warcraft.

<vK|LUST> slice
    <vK|LUST> slice
    <vK|LUST> slice
    * vK|LUST was kicked by PRIDE-BOT (Don't repeat yourself!)

<inphiNity^> if u dont idle #swm.dota then fuck u

Steam ID
    vsaviour
    Wongs

the sole difference is that you live not in Asia so you should buy a ticket and go move there and learn the language and play Dota/HoN as a career. also hi strifez.

o. maybe. i'm pretty sure cn text shows up as empty boxes though.

basically what pig said. let's consider. who are the best players in north america europe? generally speaking they peak when they're like 20 years old because then they realize they can't make a living off of dota. these people literally nerd the game for like every waking moment they get. by the time teams are formed, they're not training to get better at dota, they're training to mesh with their team. do u think nirvana scrims to increase each players individual performance? no, they scrim for teamwork. difference with the chinese is that they nerd out like our players do for individual skill but then they get sponsored and paid to do that same thing again with a team.

Steam ID
    vsaviour
    Wongs

holy crap i am unintentionally trolling this forum. DESTROLYS take over pls I'm tired.

poopy
    no animated sigs

Unstoppable
    Wongs

Quote Originally Posted by supa_fly
    Chinese players don't flame their mates when their mates fail, they type a space and then enter b.c there is nothing to say.
    Not sure where you got this information but that's probably wrong. Chinese characters don't show up on Warcraft III unless you have Chinese input. It's more likely that there is text but it looks like space enter because you don't have Chinese Warcraft.
    if you've ever seen a chinese dota movie (wodota/pis) u can see the chinese characters on the screen.