Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: New Player Guide
November 5th, 2015, 01:39 PM #1
- Join Date
- Dec 2011
- Steam ID
New Player Guide
Hello there! Welcome to the world of Mafia!
It can be a hurdle to jump into a forum based Mafia game if one is unfamiliar with Mafia mechanics. I have attempted to compile some resources to aid in the transition.
First the Basics
In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia. At the beginning of the game, the Moderator of the game will Private Message each signed user their role. The Mafia will know each other, while everyone else will only know their own role.
The game has two phases, the first of which is day. During day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch. They are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia. The Mafia will also be voting and by doing so trying to appear town and confuse them. When a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it becomes Night.
During the night, the thread is locked and no one can talk publicly. The Mafia, however, can speak to each other privately to plot strategy and decide who to murder before the next Day begins. In this way, they can silence members of the Town who are threats to them. At the end of the Night, the murder is carried out and another Day begins. In effect, the Town gets to kill someone, and then the Mafia gets to kill someone.
The game alternates between Day and Night until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else.
Well that seems like maybe it is too easy for the Mafia to win doesn't it? Well that is why most games will have Power Roles.
Basic Power Roles
Cop - A cop is a town aligned player who is able to investigate a player during the night phase. The Cop will find out if the person is Town or Mafia.
Doctor - A doctor is a town aligned player who is able to protect a player during the night phase. He will save a target from an attack at night.
Vigilante - A vigilante is a town aligned player who takes justice into his own hands. At night he may kill a player.
Roleblocker - Can either be town or mafia aligned. At night they can block a target from using their night action. This includes mafia kill.
There are many more roles and flavors on roles. For example a Mafia roleblocker is often called a Prostitute.
So you think you understand the basics of Mafia by now, and want to play a game. The first thing you should do is familiarize yourself with the jargon of our community, during a game.
Jargon and Terms
Common terms or Phrases in NADOTA Mafia games.
- Bandwagon - Much as it applies in sports. People who just jump on a lynch train after someone already started it.
- Blue - Some players here will say blue when they refer to being town.
- Bus - When a Mafia player frames or 'buses' their mafia partner as to appear town.
- Claim - When a player claims a certain role. This could be true or it could be a fake claim.
- Clear - When someone is confirmed town.
- Closed Setup - When you do not know the available roles in the game.
- Confirmed - When someone is a known role. Generally this may happen via a role cop, or an un counter claim.
- Counter Claim - cc for short. Counter claim is Player A claims a role, then Player B also claims the same role. Thus Player B is Countering Player A's Claim. Mafia sometimes will fake claim roles to force a counter claim to discover roles of the town.
- Day Start - When the game starts at the day phase. That means game is open for discussion. Some games start at Night with night actions.
- Fake claim - When someone fakes a role. A Town member may fake claim a role to protect the real role. Or Mafia may fake claim a role to force a counter claim.
- Finger of Suspicion - FoS for short. When a player goes after another player and thinks they are mafia. They generally are either trying to lynch the player or attempt to glean more info from him by putting the player in a hot seat.
- Flavor - a twist on a role to fit a theme for the mafia game.
- Guilty - This is a result normally from a cop, that confirms a player is not town aligned.
- Hammer - Placing the last vote on a player to get majority lynch.
- Innocent - Sometimes shorten to other forms. Refers to a player being innocent after a cop check.
- Lurk - Just like in lurking threads online. When a player is seen reading or browsing the thread a lot without contributing much.
- Lynch - Voting during the day to kill someone. You bold a player you think is mafia for a lynch for example: Lynch Player A
- Mafia - Members of the Mafia. Generally will be red colored.
- Massclaim - Is when all players in the game will claim their role. This forces mafia to claim roles and generally forces counter claims.
- Majority Lynch - The number of lynch votes needed to hang someone. This number is always (Alive Players)/2 rounded up
- No Lynch - When a player doesn't vote and abstains from lynching.
- Night Kill - abbreviated nk. A Kill that happens at night.
- Nightless - When a game has no night phase.
- Night Start - When a game starts with a night phase.
- Open Setup - A setup where all roles are listed to each player. So you know what roles are in the game, just not who is that role.
- Policy Lynch - Lynching someone for out of game reasons. Player A lynches Player B for losing him a dota match.
- Power Role - abbreviated pr. A player that has a power or ability to use during the game.
- Role - The role you are assigned during the game. Not always a Power role. Could be a regular townie or mafia.
- Semi-Open Setup - A setup where you know the possible roles or combination of roles in the game.
- Scum - a Term used as slang for mafia. "That is a scummy thing to say. You must be scum"
- Scumhunt - When players actively post and look at others posts to determine their alignment. This will normally include things like Lynch votes, Posts, FoS, counter claiming and possibly lurking.
- Scumread - When you think a player is mafia due to behavior during the game.
- Soft Claim - When a players gives subtle clues to his teammates that he may be a certain role. For instance a cop may bring his FoS on a guilty result and attempt to lynch him, instead of outing himself and his role.
- Third Party - Some games will have other alignments beside town and Mafia. For instance serial killers are often a third party role.
- Theme- Some mafia games will have a theme. Roles could be from a popular TV show or movie. For example Lord of the Rings Mafia.
- Town - Members of the town. In most games will be a green color.
- Towntell - When players make posts that make them out to be town. This could also be seen as "That is so dumb Player A you must be town"
- Win Condition - What a player needs to achieve in order to win the game of mafia.
- X - Shot - Often roles are given a number modifier. That means that role can only use that ability X amount of times.
Some other terms may be used, but they mainly are attached to roles and are game specific.
Last edited by Roragok; November 5th, 2015 at 02:10 PM.
November 5th, 2015, 01:59 PM #2
- Join Date
- Dec 2011
- Steam ID
Common Roles Used
By Far the most common roles in any setup are:
Here are a list of normal power roles often seen in games:
- Cop - Town
- Doctor - Town
- Vigilante - Town
- Roleblocker - Can be either faction.
- Godfather - Mafia Boss
- Serial Killer -Third Party
These roles will often be given a flavor. For instance the godfather in the Pokemon game was named Giovanni.