Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast
    Beyond Grantlike

The Fighting Game Thread

Now there is a thread for all things fighting games so we don't make a new one every time.

I'm going to try and convince you all in this opening post to play fighting games.

I think fighting games are amazing. SFV is coming in just a couple weeks. That's so damn exciting. A new Street Fighter tends to be the best time to start playing them for real. Everyone in fighting games plays the new Street Fighter when it comes out. A new Street Fighter attracts a ton of new players. When many people come together to play the same fighting game it's very exciting. I hope y'all join in.

Fighting games themselves are great for many reasons. Hate your team mates in Dota? Not a problem here. I think playing solo 1v1 lanes resembles fighting games. It's you versus one other person. Testing each other's reactions, knowledge, spacing, and more. You know how mad you get when someone comes to the mid lane while you're having that enjoyable 1v1 experience, sometimes even when it's your own team mate? You were enjoying that space where it was just you versus one other person, and then some idiot came to your lane and messed up that experience. That's just how enjoyable it is to play in a 1v1 environment. A team mate can show up to help you and you can be upset because they just interrupted the 1v1 fun you were having. That 1v1 environment is fighting games. You versus one other person. You are in each others heads testing each other, and in a fighting game that wont get interrupted by some dumbass potm.

"I am interested and watch fighting games, but I don't get what's going on/seems too difficult."

I got you. I hope I can help you understand some fighting game basics so that you can gain a larger interest in fighting games and play. We'll talk about Street Fighter.

Street Fighter is a lot about space control. Many people will point to Ryu as a defining character in Street Fighter, not only because he is the main character, but also because his play style really demonstrates the important aspects of Street Fighter. Especially space control.Ryu is strong.

(side note I should probably credit Sirlin here. I'm explaining this the same way he did in an old SF2 video)

The first tool Ryu has to control space is the Hadouken. A street fighter classic. It covers incredible horizontal space.

Spoiler

In this picture you can see that when Ryu throws a Hadouken he controls all that space in the red.

The second important tool Ryu has to control space is the Shoryuken. Another classic. It covers the vertical space above Ryu very well.

Spoiler

So when we take a look at a Ryu using both of these moves alone, he controls a whole lot of space on the screen.

Spoiler

Now let's take a look at Ryu's opponent here. Bison. Bison can control a lot of horizontal space as well with his scissor kicks.

Spoiler

Notice that Bison's space control leaves him closer to his opponent. This is one example of how different play styles are born!

So what happens in a match when both of these players can control all this space? As a fireball travels it takes away that space that Bison could normally control with his scissor kick, because he would get hit by the fireball trying to scissor kick there.

Spoiler

So when Ryu throws a Hadouken, Bison loses his ability to control that space. The obvious answer is to jump over the fireballs once close enough and punish, but as we saw earlier Ryu can control that space above him with a Shoryuken. So this is where Bison must choose other options to advance on Ryu. His V-skill in SFV, or even a classic maneuver like neutral jumping. This is where the brain starts cooking strategies to beat the opponent. All decisions and strategies like these formed by players consider the space controlled by the characters.

Now we have seen some examples of controlling space and what impact it has on a game of Street Fighter. Let's look at the last important aspect of Street Fighter I want to talk about. Footsies. You will hear this word constantly when paying attention to fighting games. It's a large concept that is paramount in fighting games. Unfortunately even though it is so important and commonly referred to, it isn't explained very often. I'll do my best to help.

I don't think it will be hard for anyone here really. Dota players already have excellent footsies.
    "Foosies? Show me" - DS A2 God
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B03ZKoRW81s&t=5m26s
    Here you see SumaiL and Mushi moving in and out of medium raze range until Mushi gets SumaiL to walk into his raze range while he walks out of SumaiL's. This is footsies. The things we do, usually movements, that get people into our range and keep ourselves outside of their's.

This is paramount to fighting games. When players get in ranges where this movement in and outside of each other's range is possible, then we start to play footsies.

Spoiler

Now with footsies defined, watch this clip. Momochi moves forward. Kazunoko now feels he can move in a bit to be within his low medium kick range and possibly score a hit. However, Momochi moves outside of that medium kick range. Kazunoko's low medium kick puts him inside of Momochi's range while Momochi stays outside of his, so he is punished.

Here's another dope example of some slick footsies. By none other than Daigo: https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CUlZRnhUcAAmnGX.mp4

So hopefully with some of these very important concepts in mind you'll have an easier time enjoying and playing fighting games. I've seen a few street fights in my day, so if you have any questions at all you can ask me here or PM me. Ask me anything at all about fighting games and I'll do my best to help.

"Well now I wanna play SFV, but it's not out yet."

In the mean time start watching some! Fighting games also have a ton of awesome history. I love that about Dota as well. Many years of Dota has given us many entertaining personalities and a lot of competition. Fighting games are no different. Going back in time even further beginning in the early 90s. If you're interested in the history of the early days, I recommend hearing it told by Jeff Schaeffer. He's a SF2 legend that was there for it all.

Whole playlist here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Ea...lzbuSKU3hlVQE5

When I was getting into fighting games the hottest game was MvC2. Everyone went to this site to watch matches http://www.zachd.com/mvc2/ If you wanna take a trip through MvC2's rich history click around that site. Couple favorites of mine:

The Ruby Money Match
    Justin Wong puts up $1000 that he could beat a guy named Mike Chaos with a randomly generated team (Ruby Heart/Jill/Ken). Mike Chaos declines, but another person accepts. Dark Prince. They play a match that can be a bit slow at times since to beat low tier all you have to do is run away, but the heckling from the crowd and the moments when Wong does shit are great.

DemonHyo vs Potter at Season's Beatings II
    Love Yipes? The viral video that showed people Yipes comes from this match. It's funny to me because people think of it as commentary but really he's just some guy in the crowd rooting for a guy he bet on. Yipes aside, this money match is excellent. It's sort of a shame that people see that Yipes video and never this match. Potter is a strong player that can play countless teams at a high level. Watching him play against a top player like DemonHyo with almost every team in the book is great.

Another popular game of the time was Third Strike. I didn't like the game then, but I loved to watch it. Partially because the FFA Ranbat videos had fun commentary and personalities.

Here's a playlist of those: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtZ0...66685F&index=1

I think these are important, because I feel like it pioneered what fighting game content eventually became. The type of jackassery we expect from fighting game streams started here for home viewers. Commentator Dr. Sub Zero is also a legend RIP that guy.

"Where do I go for fighting game stuff on the internet?"
    http://www.iplaywinner.com
    http://www.shoryuken.com

Check out news there. Where do people socialize though? Twitter. Fighting game forums died before there was a Reddit to run to. People ran to facebook groups and twitter. Facebook groups suck ass, so just go make a twitter and follow fighting game people. Everyone in fighting games is on twitter, and plenty of them respond to questions. You can often find out "news" on twitter before it's on a news site. I know twitter has a shitty reputation here because of the Carsons, but fighting game twitter uses it like a forum. People just shooting the shit being jackasses.

I'll probably add more to this thread later if I think of anything else. Hope to play y'all when SFV drops!
    Last edited by Huber; May 31st, 2016 at 10:09 PM.

Beyond Grantlike
    "I'm not reading that haha"
    Quote Originally Posted by Numeta View Post
    conspiracy theorist is a term created by the CIA to discredit anyone not in on the corruption.

אני אוהב גיאורג סורוס

#roadtogitgud
    Top 5 Anime (In Chronological Order)
    🌕 Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995)
    😡 Berserk (1997)
    🙏 Kyousougiga (2013)
    😵 Shinsekai Yori (2013)
    😂 Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (2016)

Contenders for a 5th slot if finished: Jojo, Monogatari, Bungou Stray Dogs, Tokyo Ghoul.

Can't wait to play as some lewd ass woman in 3 weeks
    remember benghazi

Steam ID
    TK
    more boobs. what else can one ask for in a game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alightsoul View Post
    Ewiz is observably very stupid (chronic drinker and poor emotional control - both strong indicators of low IQ)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesing View Post
    Does Liquid win TI7 under Hillary Clinton? Unlikely.

Beyond Grantlike
    I seem to have forgotten to mention the ever important boobs
    conspiracy theorist is a term created by the CIA to discredit anyone not in on the corruption.

אני אוהב גיאורג סורוס

Steam ID
    capgrass
    Will my Lethal League skills transfer to SFV???

Beyond Grantlike
    yes

אני אוהב גיאורג סורוס

Steam ID
    gay dicks 82
    FUCK STREET FIGHTER II

Banned
    Steam ID
    Flatsix
    Nice post, thanks

you own huber, i'm actually planning on playing a lot of sfv when it gets released. I had a stick years ago but I don't have it anymore so if you have some good recs it'd be much appreciated

Think Huber recs getting a pad.
    Quote Originally Posted by GranDGranT View Post
    Like I really do wish I was that sheltered and didnt have to worry about anything in the world except the next time my dad is going to ask me turn off my stream and fuck me

wish sticks didn't cost 1k reais
    Last edited by fournsix; January 27th, 2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: redacted ~.~
    Top 5 Anime (In Chronological Order)
    🌕 Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995)
    😡 Berserk (1997)
    🙏 Kyousougiga (2013)
    😵 Shinsekai Yori (2013)
    😂 Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (2016)

Contenders for a 5th slot if finished: Jojo, Monogatari, Bungou Stray Dogs, Tokyo Ghoul.

pretty sure it's preference really. some motions are way more difficult on a pad. if possible try out both

I used to be into playing marvel vs SF at an arcade and I played a few others. All my sf4 experience was mostly on a pad but I feel like the advantages of stick are nice to learn seeing as how I'd be starting from a fairly low level

Beyond Grantlike
    I prefer stick myself. I just don't think people should believe stick is required. Pad is just as good if not objectively better at some very important things.

אני אוהב גיאורג סורוס

Beyond Grantlike
    I'm going to buy one of the new SFV pads in February. Will let people know if they are good.

Also let me know if anything I said didn't make any sense
    Last edited by Huber; January 27th, 2016 at 04:42 AM.

אני אוהב גיאורג סורוס

Nah you did a good job explaining stuff, I'm probably going to be hitting you up quite a bit when sfv drops for help on the grind

Beyond Grantlike
    It has a cross play so I can play people on PC this time

אני אוהב גיאורג סורוס

Page 1 of 81 1231151 ... LastLast