Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATTN: J

Beyond Grantlike magicmagininja's Avatar
    Steam ID
    hobbitstoisengard
    Yeah, kyle was made a mafia mod, stovebot can be the same, plus its not like a collectively controlled bot for moderating games on a small subforum is unreasonable lol
    Quote Originally Posted by divine View Post
    Magics been way too agreeable without the least bit of negotiation. I know he's smart enough to abuse his sub-ness by taking it in the ass when it matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timado View Post
    ya, workin out for da gurls never works ask magic, the guy trains everyday like a ucking dog and is 10 years away from gettign some poon
    Quote Originally Posted by iamafuckingretard View Post
    kinkshamers dont know what love is

Good point - the mafia mod feature probably still exists somewhere

You mean like a plug-in? Unfortunately stoveBot is the only solution we can use (as it accesses through the front and not the back) until nadota has a nondaunting backend that someone is willing to work on

I'm sure it's pretty fucked at this point until it gets upgraded to the latest sw update

It is not an unreasonable request, but I don't think it is likely to happen at this time. Mafia moderator was removed in favor of giving thread creators the ability to close/open their own threads. It sounds like if the bot could create threads that would be the best solution.

Quote Originally Posted by J View Post
    It is not an unreasonable request, but I don't think it is likely to happen at this time. Mafia moderator was removed in favor of giving thread creators the ability to close/open their own threads. It sounds like if the bot could create threads that would be the best solution.
    It's like you didn't even read the posts explaining why that can't happen

Can you make it so thread creators can also edit their posts? I found it very annoying having to ask a moderator to repeatedly edit my OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by thetoo View Post
    ccnc doesnt talk back to me. guess thats what happen when ur alpha

Quote Originally Posted by yns View Post
    It's like you didn't even read the posts explaining why that can't happen
    /u/GranDGranT has helped pay for 231.26 minutes of reddit server time.

gifts on behalf of /u/GranDGranT have helped pay for 19.78 hours of reddit server time.

gifts on behalf of /u/Jalapen0s have helped pay for 14.92 hours of reddit server time.

Quote Originally Posted by Numeta View Post
    whats a Sans battlefury

Woo, I'd rather just say make a shitton more work for stove and require stove to either hand out the bot account than make a fucking role that can open and close mafia threads, which has almost 0 abuse potential

But what if the singularity happens and it starts closing mafia threads autonomously? And develops the chops to keep itself from being demodded and starts taking over the server

What a nightmare!

gifts on behalf of /u/GranDGranT have helped pay for 19.78 hours of reddit server time.

gifts on behalf of /u/Jalapen0s have helped pay for 14.92 hours of reddit server time.

whats a Sans battlefury

I'm sure the best solution here is u guys just give StoveBot your password so it can log into accounts and close/open your threads at the right times

That's an idea but definitely more work for my boy iStove

Steam ID
    capgrass
    Give me everything I need to run the bot and I'll handle it.

Steam ID
    capgrass
    jk im not paying for shit someone needs to fund me

couldn't you just log in with the bot account and manualy create the game thread?

then someone in particular has to do it every fucking time and no share password!!! Xd

whats a Sans battlefury

Quote Originally Posted by Slithereen View Post
    couldn't you just log in with the bot account and manualy create the game thread?
    I have asked this question before. And so have several others. Not sure what the problem is.
    Host has StoveBot creates the game thread.
    Host posts second with setup and rules.
    StoveBot locks thread when hammer is reached.
    Host logs in as StoveBot and re-opens the thread. Posts day end results. Calls for night actions. Locks the thread.
    Host logs in as StoveBot and re-opens the thread. Posts night end results.
    Rinse.
    Repeat.

I don't really get why you want a bot closing your threads to begin with. Closing threads for nights was always a non-issue (only relevant because Kyle made a big deal of it so he could get "modded" to host games) and if you have a bot closing your thread you will not be able to post at night as host.

Quote Originally Posted by capgrass View Post
    Give me everything I need to run the bot and I'll handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by capgrass View Post
    jk im not paying for shit someone needs to fund me
    Take this offer

Steam ID
    ironstove_
    Quote Originally Posted by Alightsoul View Post
    I'm sure the best solution here is u guys just give StoveBot your password so it can log into accounts and close/open your threads at the right times
    This might be doable.

The reason I don't like the idea of the bot creating the thread is:

1. Current code has the bot parse the mafia subforum for a thread with the [ongoing] tag in the title

2. Bot enters the thread and picks up the first post, the assumption is that the person who made the thread is the OP/Host and the bot automatically creates a local config file which sets OP as the person who has access to all hosting commands i.e. killing/adding players to the pool, ending days, etc...

3. Having the bot create the thread is a valid solution only issue is I didn't have the foresight to see that the bot would have to do this as it was not really designed to execute administrative functions, so I'd have to go back into the code and scratch my chin for a while to figure out how to move/completely rewrite a large swath of it, whereas giving the bot some minor open/close role (Maybe deleting/editing posts too? idk) would require me to only have to write the function in for the bot to navigate thru the front end to accomplish the action.

Basically, bot creating thread = work needed to create function to have the bot execute admin tasks + rewrite of existing code whereas bot not creating thread but giving access to the bot = work needed to create function to have bot execute admin tasks but no rewrite needed to be done.

======

Conclusion: I think the bot opening/closing threads is really not a big deal. I already said so myself. The moving of the thread creation to the bot was more work than I wanted to do in order to add a non-core function to the bot so I said fuck it. Like, if it takes 1 unit of work to write the open/close thread function, it would take another 8 units of work to have the bot create the thread and have the OP post as second or something, all to have the bot open/close so it's not worth the trouble. The current version does what it was originally intended to do, which is count votes.

Anything beyond that is just nice to have but not needed.

Also, an issue I came to realize is that the bot has its credentials written into the code so once I distribute any version of the bot, anyone could get access to the mod account and potentially wreck havoc on the mafia forums, which I'd imagine is very little damage, but kind of annoying but if someone hi-jacks stovebot without the mod, it's not a big issue since you can't do anything but steal some bot account. boo hoo.

Like, in the current state, anyone can create their own bot account and punch the login/password into the config file to have that account used instead of the stovebot account. That's the conclusion I came to after thinking about this for a bit.

At this point, the only other things I wanted to add on if I see the usage of the bot/popularity of the subforum rise was:

1. Have the bot automatically send out PMs of roles and collect confirms from players (While we're on the topic, can we please reduce the time between PMs to something reasonable like 5 seconds rather than 30? Sending out 13 PMs to 13 players is a tedious process. I'm not sure what the reason is for 30 seconds, but if it's to prevent a double-send, a 3second window is all you need for that. )

2. Improve the usability/front-end interface a bit, prettify the bot at some point to learn up/practice on UX design which I've never done.

Steam ID
    ironstove_
    Anyway with that said, if you type your username/PW into the local config, I could prob have the bot open another session and log into your acc to close the thread. But once again, pretty low prio since I feel like I basically accomplished my goal of making a vote counter. Anything after that is just bonus at this point and with the low activity of the forum, I am hesitant to pull time away from other things I'm working on to further develop a bot which is most likely never gonna be touched after the forum dies down or the layout gets updated (great reason why doing this kind of stuff on the back-end is much better!!!!)

Mod me and I will make this website great.
    Dendi Mafia Power Rankings Top 10 All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by bees View Post
    Man I FUCKING HATE BLACKS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast