Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Steam ID
    ironstove_
    spitwad obv made the right choice at the time to not sell, considering that dota 2 was rising in popularity at the time and this forum had top gamers coming to post here which drew other gamers in as well, he probably saw the potential to see what this website could be i.e. the key hub where dota players from all over the world come here to post, discuss dota news, and such.

unfortunately, having tried to work with spitwad in the past I can say that he lacked the skillset or maturity to bring his vision to life. He was unwilling and/or unable to hire on the technical skillset to add features that were drawing players away to other discussion forums (reddit, dotabuff, etc) like a strong media outlet for game vods, featured content, and things of that nature to keep people coming back.

There was no community outreach, and poor management, and what management he did provide was horrid only popping in to ban people for saying this wasn't the greatest site on earth lmao.

Basically you reap what you sow. I think for him, selling /trying to negotiate for partial ownership would have been the right decision because he would have given the reins to people who had the skills, experience, and knowledge needed to really take nadota.com to the next level, but left with a person like him and his crew of friends to hang around and try to feel cool about happening to have a major traffic hub for a major game.

Instead you'd get laughably easy plugins like the twitch addon you see on the side showing dota streamers (like ok? I can just go to twitch.com to view that shit. right? Why wouldn't you try to drive the traffic into the site, not away from it?)

Nothing new added in for years, and people got bored/pulled away by the flashy new gadgets other developers were rolling out.

That's the way it is, you gotta stay on top of the game or be willing to dole out the money/have people to do it because it's hard work when there are always others at your feet trying to take a bite of your meal whom you always need to be fighting off.

Spitwad thought he could win the fight and he was wrong, but he wasn't wrong to try fighting it. He was wrong in how he fought and his refusal to get the right kind of help.

I can imagine in an alternate dimension if spitwad sold, the buyer of the site would have immediately turned it into a major dota site by hiring the right devs to integrate other website/dota content and have it more closely tied/cited with major hubs like reddit rather than fostering this whole 'fuck reddit' mentality which was the type of attitude that ultimately doomed this website into failure. In that universe, people would be saying spit was a moron for selling.

Mega Kill
    Quote Originally Posted by ironstove. View Post
    spitwad obv made the right choice at the time to not sell, considering that dota 2 was rising in popularity at the time and this forum had top gamers coming to post here which drew other gamers in as well, he probably saw the potential to see what this website could be i.e. the key hub where dota players from all over the world come here to post, discuss dota news, and such.

unfortunately, having tried to work with spitwad in the past I can say that he lacked the skillset or maturity to bring his vision to life. He was unwilling and/or unable to hire on the technical skillset to add features that were drawing players away to other discussion forums (reddit, dotabuff, etc) like a strong media outlet for game vods, featured content, and things of that nature to keep people coming back.

There was no community outreach, and poor management, and what management he did provide was horrid only popping in to ban people for saying this wasn't the greatest site on earth lmao.

Basically you reap what you sow. I think for him, selling /trying to negotiate for partial ownership would have been the right decision because he would have given the reins to people who had the skills, experience, and knowledge needed to really take nadota.com to the next level, but left with a person like him and his crew of friends to hang around and try to feel cool about happening to have a major traffic hub for a major game.

Instead you'd get laughably easy plugins like the twitch addon you see on the side showing dota streamers (like ok? I can just go to twitch.com to view that shit. right? Why wouldn't you try to drive the traffic into the site, not away from it?)

Nothing new added in for years, and people got bored/pulled away by the flashy new gadgets other developers were rolling out.

That's the way it is, you gotta stay on top of the game or be willing to dole out the money/have people to do it because it's hard work when there are always others at your feet trying to take a bite of your meal whom you always need to be fighting off.

Spitwad thought he could win the fight and he was wrong, but he wasn't wrong to try fighting it. He was wrong in how he fought and his refusal to get the right kind of help.

Damn, a long ironstove post I actually agree with? Some twilight zone shit going on

Holy Shit
    that's certainly an interesting post ironstove but i'm not entirely sure I agree with the premise that if Spit-wad had just "done more" the website would be flourishing in the way you describe. even joinDota.com which has far more reaons for people to visit it than NaDotA.com is fairly dead simply because reddit exists, I think reddit just suffocates a lot of competition for websites like this one.

interesting to read though.

Spitwad didn't really do anything to retain pros and nAdota definitely had the opportunity to be a DotA hub since it was around before the subreddit or jd or any of that other garbage.
    /u/GranDGranT has helped pay for 231.26 minutes of reddit server time.

gifts on behalf of /u/GranDGranT have helped pay for 19.78 hours of reddit server time.

gifts on behalf of /u/Jalapen0s have helped pay for 14.92 hours of reddit server time.

Quote Originally Posted by Numeta View Post
    whats a Sans battlefury

reddit targets a different niche than websites like this but you aren't wrong that these types of forums probably saw decreased traffic due to reddit

the real problem is there's not much reason to come here if you're a dota player. the site was always populated by nasty people who either aren't good at dota or don't play any more (which is basically the same thing). this isn't a place to grow and learn.

I'm not sure I agree with you about the being a lot of low skill players here and people not playing anymore is more a symptom of the website not getting fresh blood. Or maybe dota 2 being on the decline (these are probably related).

Spit definitely should have taken 40k, but iron stove is right that so much more could have been done. I always thought that nadota would branch out and make a team, and there was talk about it until spit shot the idea down.

Holy Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by divine View Post
    Spitwad didn't really do anything to retain pros
    I mean I'm not sure what he was really supposed to do, pay them to stay? They lost interest and stopped posting. Short of paying them to stay or something I'm not sure what he could have done. I guess if he had done all those things Ironstove was saying and made the website better, or just done things like the VERY rare interviews/streams/featured content type of stuff more frequently that could have kept more people around but at the end of the day I'm not sure we'd still live in a world where Fear and BuLba and later Arteezy posted here like they did 6-7 years ago.

Holy Shit
    I don't disagree with the idea that more things could have been done, I can think of many and so can many users I'm sure, I just disagree with the idea that the result would be we'd have some premier website with lots of high end posters. PlayDotA.com and joinDotA already did more things like that and are in pretty similiar states. I think the incredible growth of reddit just stifled websites like these (and the pros actually do post on that website too).

Holy Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Alightsoul View Post
    the real problem is there's not much reason to come here if you're a dota player. the site was always populated by nasty people who either aren't good at dota or don't play any more (which is basically the same thing). this isn't a place to grow and learn.
    I don't entirely agree with this because I do actually think there is a lot of interesting discussion and also sometimes hilarious banter that happens here, and I think that's apparent in that what users this website does generate seem to stick around for long periods of time.

I would look at teamliquid.net which is almost entirely the opposite of this board, totally geared towards beginners, totally noob friendly, an ideal place to go if you're a beginner. Looking through the forums there, it might have slightly more users than NaDotA, but not that many, and I don't think having all that content geared towards new users really helped them in the long run. They also had a MASSIVE fucking advantage in that they had the Liquid brand and all the previous teamliquid.net users. They still got absolutely smothered by reddit.

Isn't half the reason the pros left is because half the shit they said on here would make it on to reddit sooner or later and their flames/toxic behavior would reflect poorly on themselves/organisations? I don't think that would have changed with this website becoming more popular. I'd say it would probably have the opposite effect.

Would've been dope for spit to start a private subforum for them but I doubt info wouldnt have been leaked in that circumstance

gifts on behalf of /u/GranDGranT have helped pay for 19.78 hours of reddit server time.

gifts on behalf of /u/Jalapen0s have helped pay for 14.92 hours of reddit server time.

whats a Sans battlefury

Add it to the list of things reddit ruined, I guess.

1. Rick and Morty
    2. The Democratic Party

whats a Sans battlefury

3. Dota 2
    4. That dude's life who was mistaken for the Boston bomber

Steam ID
    ironstove_
    As I said when you ban people on the website who are major content contributors because of a personal spat you get into them as a big dick fuck you I own the place, it doesn't garner a healthy environment that keeps ppl wanting to come back whole you protect and even encourage the toxic ppl who were trolling hard.

That plus no unique content, no real official Dota league or anything. So many things happened in the time I was here many great ideas, and most of them complete failures all because of the wrong person heading at the top imo but who gives a shit I thought this place officially died like 2-3 years ago

Steam ID
    ironstove_
    Also remember I've been around since 2008 but my original accounts got banned because I called spitwad a lazy fuck for not wanting to implement some new forum features with the wongs and integrating an irc bot to the web server.

Steam ID
    ironstove_
    I believe that was circa 2010 and I got pissed so I stopped coming for 2 years and eventually made a new acct

Quote Originally Posted by ironstove. View Post
    As I said when you ban people on the website who are major content contributors because of a personal spat you get into them as a big dick fuck you I own the place, it doesn't garner a healthy environment that keeps ppl wanting to come back whole you protect and even encourage the toxic ppl who were trolling hard.
    Is there a specific incidence you are referring to? Though I 100% agree with you.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast