Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast
    Steam ID
    WTFDota

m0rph's Tech Support Thread

Ok, to make this easier on everyone, if you need some computer help, just post it in here.

Also, I might start to add references and links to this initial post to help people out.
    Last edited by prb; October 22nd, 2013 at 05:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HmmMilkshake View Post
    I think I can play support better than bdiz and universe, but I wouldn't want to regardless.
    Honestly, nadota has been overrun, or grown, or whatever you want to call it so it's no longer a little club, but a big fucking commercial/public site. Go 100% with it. Make money off ads/wongs/a store. Put streams up. Do your own content. Stop trying to hold on to the notion that we can keep the close knit club we have historically been, because it's gone at this point (and I think you know it too spit)
    NADota playpen members: Milkshake, NengLM, ironstove, Kanadian, MrSoada, xCom, qweasdzxcdot, insom

Godlike

Re: m0rph's tech support thread

whens LGA2011 coming out and how long should i wait before buying my new computer? just give me the technical jargon. i used to be really into tech and i understand the science behind it i just havent been following the market for a couple years. who's winning between atiamd/nvidia and amd/intel? where is the market cycle right now? is dd4 an issue?

Steam ID
    WTFDota

LGA2011 is coming out this month, allegedly.

It should be a significant performance increase.

Whether it will be cost effective is yet to be seen, but even if it isn't, it should mean a price drop in the 1366 chips.

AMD/nVidia... In my opinion, AMD provides better performance per dollar if you're looking at raw numbers, or doing anything like bitcoin mining. I still like nVidia cards for practical use, and I trust their drivers more.

AMD/Intel... It makes me sad, but I don't think AMD can compete with Intel, at least in any high-performance markets. Bulldozer was a major disappointment and I'd only consider AMD if you're looking at a low budget.

This current Intel cycle is a change in architecture, with new Sandy Bridge chips rolling out this year. Next year is supposed to be a die shrink from 32nm down to 22nm, and that should happen very early in the year.

Assuming you mean DDR4, it isn't a concern at this point. It's expected to be released in late 2012 and memory is definitely not a bottleneck in performance at this point.
    I think I can play support better than bdiz and universe, but I wouldn't want to regardless.
    Honestly, nadota has been overrun, or grown, or whatever you want to call it so it's no longer a little club, but a big fucking commercial/public site. Go 100% with it. Make money off ads/wongs/a store. Put streams up. Do your own content. Stop trying to hold on to the notion that we can keep the close knit club we have historically been, because it's gone at this point (and I think you know it too spit)
    NADota playpen members: Milkshake, NengLM, ironstove, Kanadian, MrSoada, xCom, qweasdzxcdot, insom

Godlike

ty, and i also always look at highish budget 3K+$ CAD is usually what i set aside for a computer.

Steam ID
    WTFDota

Quote Originally Posted by Zigrakil
    ty, and i also always look at highish budget 3K+$ CAD is usually what i set aside for a computer.
    In that case, start with the absolute top-end components. Get 2 30" Dell Ultrasharps. Get whatever keyboard/mouse you want. Get a case you're going to love and re-use because those are components that you will keep between builds.

Wicked Sick

yo morph cool thread, ok with my allotted cash, 700, how did i do on this build?

lian li pc-k58 case
    gigabyte ga-870a-ud3
    gigabyte radeon 5770
    antec earthwatts 650w
    g.skill sniper 8gb ram (2x4)
    amd phenom II be 555 X4
    cooler master hyper 212 plus
    2x gelid solutions 140mm fans
    western digital caviar black 640gb 7200rpm
    24" westinghouse lcd (oh i already had this)

idk i just like talking about my computer, i never built one before and it just works so nice, you don't have to answer any questions

i love this computer

YAY

M-M-M-Monster Kill

AMD for GPU, Intel for CPU is the way to go!

Steam ID
    WTFDota

Quote Originally Posted by carebear33
    yo morph cool thread, ok with my allotted cash, 700, how did i do on this build?

lian li pc-k58 case
    gigabyte ga-870a-ud3
    gigabyte radeon 5770
    antec earthwatts 650w
    g.skill sniper 8gb ram (2x4)
    amd phenom II be 555 X4
    cooler master hyper 212 plus
    2x gelid solutions 140mm fans
    western digital caviar black 640gb 7200rpm
    24" westinghouse lcd (oh i already had this)

idk i just like talking about my computer, i never built one before and it just works so nice, you don't have to answer any questions

i love this computer

YAY
    Not bad for building on a budget. I would've spend a little more and built around an i5-2500k but there's nothing wrong with any of your components.

Lian-Li makes nice solid cases.

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by m0rphl1ng
    In that case, start with the absolute top-end components. Get 2 30" Dell Ultrasharps. Get whatever keyboard/mouse you want. Get a case you're going to love and re-use because those are components that you will keep between builds.
    i have the perfect keyboard/mouse/headset setup right now. currently operating off of a 24inch monitor (not dell) which is doing pretty well. i have a really spacious case that i think i'll hang onto. so basically i'm just looking for an optimal time to buy new components, likely once LGA2011 gets released so that i can see if it's actually good.

Steam ID
    WTFDota

i have the perfect keyboard/mouse/headset setup right now. currently operating off of a 24inch monitor (not dell) which is doing pretty well. i have a really spacious case that i think i'll hang onto. so basically i'm just looking for an optimal time to buy new components, likely once LGA2011 gets released so that i can see if it's actually good.
    If you're dropping 3k, then I assume you'll want to go bleeding edge. Wait as long as you want, because components always will get better. Either pick up the new Sandy Bridge chips this winter, or wait for Ivy Bridge early next year. Either way, the top end intel CPUs are so awesome right now you won't be disappointed!

read your private message morphling
    coL.ixmike88: ?
    coL.ixmike88: i aint a nerd
    coL.ixmike88: im a dota player.

Steam ID
    bk_ganked

That's some great advice right there. I have 2 monitors and on I've used since like 06 (well the capacitors I think just went but w/e solid 4 years) and the other since 07 (still in mint condition, surprised for a cheap LG monitor) Also I've had the same mouse from 06 and I have the CM Storm Scout case that I love.

Only thing I've been fucked on is my Steelseries Siberia V2s that broke the second day I got them.
    1:09 AM - DiSMeK: damn bro its the ganked sniper
    1:09 AM - DiSMeK: that shits more legendary than yaphets sf

Banned

ID PRETTY MUCH SUGGEST NVIDIA AT ALL TIMES BECAUSE CUDAS WAY BETTER THAN WHATEVER SHIT ATI HAS FOR VIDEO PLAYBACK

Banned

ALSO MY ATI 5850 GRAPHICS CARD USED TO HANG CONSTANTLY UNTIL THE ?.10 DRIVERS... I HAD TO USE MODDED DRIVERS TO MAKE IT FUNCTION

OF COURSE ATI OFFERS BETTER PRICE/PERFORMANCE FOR PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING UNDER <$300 AND GIVES OFF LESS HEAT, BUT ID SACC A COUPLE FPS HERE AND THERE FOR CUDA

Godlike

i use an astro a40 headset which i really like a lot. daskeyboard brown switches. steelseries sensei mous. it's a pretty fun combo.

hey.. i think my motherboard touched metal and got fried or some shit..

worst case,, will newegg take it back.
    coL.ixmike88: ?
    coL.ixmike88: i aint a nerd
    coL.ixmike88: im a dota player.

Banned

GAMING HEADSETS ARE SHIT TIER

ALSO BULBAS HOPELESS I THINK HE NEEDSH IS OWN THREAD

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by BuLba-SaUr

arent you those tech support type people?
    indian or w/e. how r u having so much issue with computers when its in ur blood.

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by Brood_Star
    GAMING HEADSETS ARE SHIT TIER
    nah i like the a40s. i coulda gotten an audiophile-style headset and a separate recording mic but honestly i wanted something a bit more portable so i just went for the a40 + mixamp.

Steam ID
    WTFDota

Quote Originally Posted by BuLba-SaUr

They shouldn't but they might.

Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast