Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dumb Question

Steam ID
    tafka_ursda
    Wongs
    Quote Originally Posted by m0rphl1ng View Post
    I don't see a damn thing wrong with that build. The only changes I'd make would be going with Asus/Gigabyte over ASRock just out of personal preference. Maybe make that DVD drive into a Blu-Ray burner too.
    Ya, I was going for the ASUS V68 MOBO. I'm going to build this pc over the next 4-6 weeks (dont have enough $ right now to do it all, just picked up an ASUS 7850 for 250 xD. i really want the ASUS version, and the downside of amazon was that it'd take some time to get to my house.. but thats fine b/c i dont plan to assemble my pc asap and it'll come here around when i gather the rest of my parts). prob going to go without an HDD and upgrade the SDD.. and not even sure if I'm going to need an optical drive morph, i have a laptop with that stuff on the side to handle DVD/CD capability as well as bluray. your guys' thoughts on skipping out on the optical drive?

@Ryan: what are your thought on this ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID= ) vs the 212+ ? it was listed in the reddit thread i referenced earlier. easier to fit on my CPU?? plus will it help me maximize the effectiveness of my gpu/cpu ?
    Quote Originally Posted by KZZ View Post
    i did not pay for a compendium yet i have one now/

can someone exlpain thtis to me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Haxity View Post
    maybe a friend gave you one because he was tired of looking at your poor as fuck jewish as fuck greybox avatar

Steam ID
    ironstove_
    Wongs
    I bought this processor OEM for $40 a couple of months back, been sitting around for a while, I also have an ASUS m4 motherboard to go with it, plan to OC it and unlock the 4th core, hopefully running around 3.1+ GHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103652

Going to add in this fan to it and hopefully have it running at around 70c @ load and 20-30 on idle, but if it goes above that, I'll just buy a second fan to stack.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103074

I have an old case I'm going to try to reuse, but otherwise whatever... I'll drop another 20 on craigslist for a tower.

Buying a 32-64 GB SSD to the combo, then based on my needs, will drop another 30-50 bucks for a whatever graphics card that I can OC and not worry about blowing up.

Got a 500w power supply I'm going to reuse, and btw morph how do you determine what the power consumption is on a system? I see you mentioning to intel that his 650w PSU will 'meet' his needs, but that seems like massive overkill to me, and I mean massive. How are you determining where the other 200+ extra watts are going or am I missing something here?
    Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out.

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.

Steam ID
    ironstove_
    Wongs
    Yea, I enjoy buying parts OEM or aftermarket and throwing them together.

I will probably give this to a friend since I have no room for it in my apartment (Well, I do, but I don't want my place to get too cluttered). Atm, I'm just using a POS laptop that is falling apart, I wish they sold barebones kits for laptops, but I can never find any.
    Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out.

Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Pagliacci.

Wongs
    looks like the difference is the sound output and the fan speed

i almost don't notice the hyper 212+ so i mean maybe the regular hyper 212 would be bearable

but it looks like basically the same thing, probably just as a bitch to seat on your CPU. I had to *slightly* bend my mobo (and it hurt my soul while i was doing it) for the screws to properly hold

keeping temps down will allow you to OC further, but id rather just keep my place cooler 8)

Quote Originally Posted by LEGENDARY-TOM
    Guy A has always been good to you.
    Guy B has always been good to you too but he had sex with your dog one time.

Who do you lend your car to?

Hint: not guy B.

Steam ID
    WTFDota
    Wongs
    Quote Originally Posted by ironstove. View Post
    morph how do you determine what the power consumption is on a system? I see you mentioning to intel that his 650w PSU will 'meet' his needs, but that seems like massive overkill to me, and I mean massive. How are you determining where the other 200+ extra watts are going or am I missing something here?
    I'd recommend he goes even higher, but he found a good PSU for a good price.

A power supply is something that is easily recycled between builds, so the smart thing to do is buy a quality PSU with lots of overhead that you can use for 2-3 builds. My 730W PC Power and Cooling PSU has been one of my favorite components over the years.

If he wanted the bare minimum, he could probably get away with a piece of shit 450W power supply... but why risk it? If a power supply fails, it can knock out every component in your system. Better to not cut corners on a power supply, which is a reason why I won't ever buy a retail desktop.
    Quote Originally Posted by HmmMilkshake View Post
    I think I can play support better than bdiz and universe, but I wouldn't want to regardless.
    Honestly, nadota has been overrun, or grown, or whatever you want to call it so it's no longer a little club, but a big fucking commercial/public site. Go 100% with it. Make money off ads/wongs/a store. Put streams up. Do your own content. Stop trying to hold on to the notion that we can keep the close knit club we have historically been, because it's gone at this point (and I think you know it too spit)
    NADota playpen members: Milkshake, NengLM, ironstove, Kanadian, MrSoada, xCom, qweasdzxcdot, insom

Steam ID
    tafka_ursda
    Wongs
    Alright, thanks for the input. I really don't wanna bend my MOBO :/ I guess the only way to figure out how everything will fit is to either try it yourself or read a review of someone who has done it first hand

EDIT: I saw this MOBO. what are your thoughts on it (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131790R) as opposed to (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131773) ? I have literally no idea just saw that it was 75$ off
    Last edited by Intelstyle; April 26th, 2012 at 04:20 PM.

maybe a friend gave you one because he was tired of looking at your poor as fuck jewish as fuck greybox avatar

Steam ID
    colorblind93
    Wongs
    Idk why everyone is still in the Fab of Over clocking everything is fast enough now that you dont need to OC :/

Steam ID
    WTFDota
    Wongs
    Quote Originally Posted by iNteLStyLe View Post
    Alright, thanks for the input. I really don't wanna bend my MOBO :/ I guess the only way to figure out how everything will fit is to either try it yourself or read a review of someone who has done it first hand

EDIT: I saw this MOBO. what are your thoughts on it (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131790R) as opposed to (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131773) ? I have literally no idea just saw that it was 75$ off
    I have the P8Z68-V Pro and I love it.
    I think I can play support better than bdiz and universe, but I wouldn't want to regardless.
    Honestly, nadota has been overrun, or grown, or whatever you want to call it so it's no longer a little club, but a big fucking commercial/public site. Go 100% with it. Make money off ads/wongs/a store. Put streams up. Do your own content. Stop trying to hold on to the notion that we can keep the close knit club we have historically been, because it's gone at this point (and I think you know it too spit)
    NADota playpen members: Milkshake, NengLM, ironstove, Kanadian, MrSoada, xCom, qweasdzxcdot, insom

Steam ID
    WTFDota
    Wongs
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyBear View Post
    Idk why everyone is still in the Fab of Over clocking everything is fast enough now that you dont need to OC :/
    If you're a casual user, you're correct. If you're doing things that are maxing your CPU out, it's obviously worth it.

Steam ID
    tafka_ursda
    Wongs
    Alright guys! I'm back. Just wanted your thoughts on my final build I have the cash ready to get this party rolling.

Here is what I'm looking at: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/80pI

I'll need to get a wireless card too, right? Seems like something you could easily forget. Or is there a way I can use my laptop as a router and plug an ethernet cable into the computer? Like this: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...Id-323042.html Does this lower the speed though?

Let me know your general thoughts/if something should be upgraded/something too over the top, etc

Thx ^^
    Last edited by Intelstyle; May 11th, 2012 at 10:11 PM.

I cant get a master card what do i do to buy parts (sad face)

Steam ID
    tafka_ursda
    Wongs
    Quote Originally Posted by Last4onE View Post
    I cant get a master card what do i do to buy parts (sad face)
    Bro

Steam ID
    WTFDota
    Wongs
    Alright guys! I'm back. Just wanted your thoughts on my final build I have the cash ready to get this party rolling.

Here is what I'm looking at: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/80pI

I'll need to get a wireless card too, right? Seems like something you could easily forget. Or is there a way I can use my laptop as a router and plug an ethernet cable into the computer? Like this: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...Id-323042.html Does this lower the speed though?

Let me know your general thoughts/if something should be upgraded/something too over the top, etc

Thx ^^
    Buy a wireless card. I have a personal preference for Netgear, but I'd look into something by Asus at the moment. Their networking equipment has REALLY impressed me recently. You won't be happy with that jimmy-rig of your laptop to your desktop.

Every part of your build looks great. Just make double super sure that's the case you want. Corsair makes some nice cases, but that one seems a little smaller than what I'd recommend, and it definitely isn't a cheap choice for just a mid-tower.

Steam ID
    tafka_ursda
    Wongs
    I really like the look of the 400R and all the features (cable management etc) I've read multiple reviews that have stated that its big enough to fit my GPU. It should work

Steam ID
    WTFDota
    Wongs
    I really like the look of the 400R and all the features (cable management etc) I've read multiple reviews that have stated that its big enough to fit my GPU. It should work
    If you're happy with it, by all means go for it.

Steam ID
    tafka_ursda
    Wongs
    Well all the parts have been ordered. Hope to get this built soon^^

Steam ID
    ironstove_
    Wongs
    1. You can easily tether your laptop to your computer (assuming laptop is XP/7). All you need is a crossover cable. I've done this in the past and it is basically like turning your laptop into a wireless card. You could alternatively also turn your laptop into a wifi hotspot which takes a little bit more work, but still easy. If you're not on a budget though like I was, then just drop the 15-20 for a rosewill wifi card and you're set. Odds are unless you're running on a T1 connection, your main bottleneck will be your ISP and not your hardware.

2. Your system is a bit overkill. Particularly the motherboard and power supply... You only need like a 400w PSU for that setup since you're not doing a crossfire setup. (Also why it's pointless to get that mobo, you're not even installing close to the max caps for RAM and you got an extra PCI-E x16 2.1 slot just sitting around for no reason unless you plan to build a SLI system later on in the future with a second copy of that same GPU, at which point I'm just going to ask "Why?" because I can't imagine any application which would need a setup that strong when it's running at load).

3. You could cut about $100 off the total cost of your machine and still get the same preformance (Withouut even shopping around, you're just overpaying for stuff that I find at a glance, like your PSU, MOBO, GPU, and SSD), but whatever, you're clearly a baller and though it's massive overkill in my opinion, you got what you needed out of your system.

That photo posted on the first page was pretty much on point as a guide for how to build your own system.

Steam ID
    WTFDota
    Wongs
    Quote Originally Posted by ironstove. View Post
    1. You can easily tether your laptop to your computer (assuming laptop is XP/7). All you need is a crossover cable. I've done this in the past and it is basically like turning your laptop into a wireless card. You could alternatively also turn your laptop into a wifi hotspot which takes a little bit more work, but still easy. If you're not on a budget though like I was, then just drop the 15-20 for a rosewill wifi card and you're set. Odds are unless you're running on a T1 connection, your main bottleneck will be your ISP and not your hardware.

2. Your system is a bit overkill. Particularly the motherboard and power supply... You only need like a 400w PSU for that setup since you're not doing a crossfire setup. (Also why it's pointless to get that mobo, you're not even installing close to the max caps for RAM and you got an extra PCI-E x16 2.1 slot just sitting around for no reason unless you plan to build a SLI system later on in the future with a second copy of that same GPU, at which point I'm just going to ask "Why?" because I can't imagine any application which would need a setup that strong when it's running at load).

3. You could cut about $100 off the total cost of your machine and still get the same preformance (Withouut even shopping around, you're just overpaying for stuff that I find at a glance, like your PSU, MOBO, GPU, and SSD), but whatever, you're clearly a baller and though it's massive overkill in my opinion, you got what you needed out of your system.

That photo posted on the first page was pretty much on point as a guide for how to build your own system.
    1.) It's possible, but not optimal, like I said. He's increasing latency for a worse solution for no purpose. As a gamer, he's not going to be primarily concerned with bandwidth, but latency and stability, which is why buying good components is a smart idea.

2.) That all depends on what he plans on using it for. If he wants a computer that is only going to run dota 2 for the next year, then sure, you might be right. However, if he wants a rig that will last, or if he plans on doing things that you haven't considered, he's chosen some great parts. Oh, and there's a whole lot more to purchasing a motherboard than just looking at what slots you need right now. In the time you spent typing this crap that you obviously have a very tenuous grasp of, what could you have actually done with your time?

3.) You're probably right. I have no idea where he's buying things from.